Planning a trip to New York City soon? If so, you’ve probably realized that accommodation is definitely not cheap. In fact, it’s often hard to find great deals on accommodation because of how busy and popular NYC is.
When we look for cheap accommodation, we’re usually searching for things like hostels. Sadly, a lot of the hostels in NYC have been shut down due to some old laws that limited the number of people that could stay in a single room. Thankfully, there are a few hostels that have survived, and they’re still offering cheap accommodation for anyone who wants to explore NYC.
What to look for in a hostel in NYC
Table of Contents
If you’re searching for affordable accommodation in NYC, then hostels are a fantastic choice. In addition to some excellent locations that put you in the heart of the city, they’re really affordable and there’s a surprising amount of flexibility. Some hostels are cheap and don’t offer much space or privacy, but they’re fantastic if you’re on a budget. If you want to go up a notch, then there are slightly more expensive hostels that have a few more amenities like a free breakfast.
Here are some qualities to look for when it comes to picking the best NYC hostels:
- Where is it located? Getting around NYC is fairly easy thanks to public transport, so the location doesn’t matter too much. However, if there are certain activities you want to experience or places that you want to see, then it might help to pick a hostel closer to those locations.
- How much does it cost? Cost is always a factor when it comes to picking a hostel in NYC. There are plenty of cheap places to pick from, but you might prefer paying a little more to get extra services and peace of mind.
- What are the ratings like? If you’re looking for the full hostel experience then choosing one with a good star rating is usually the way to go. It ensures that the hostel will meet your standards and you’ll avoid a bad experience.
- How are the staff? While you probably won’t interact with the staff much, it’s still a good idea to look for a hostel that has great hospitality so that if anything goes wrong, you have professional and friendly people waiting to help you.
- What amenities are there? Most, if not all NYC hostels, have free WiFi that you can use for basic stuff. Some even come with free breakfast! It’s worth looking at what’s available before you book.
- What’s the reputation like? Some hostels are known for being close to nightlife so they’re really popular for social situations and parties. Others are known for being quiet and relaxing.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the best hostels in NYC.
Arguably one of the cheapest hostels in the whole of NYC, HI New York City Hostel is a great pick that offers outstanding amenities, a clean and welcoming environment, and also plenty of opportunities to socialize.
Located just a few blocks away from Central Park and with close proximity to the subway and buses, this is a fantastic place to choose if you’re into sightseeing or want a convenient location to get around the rest of the city.
The hostel itself has lots of unique amenities, such as a large patio and garden where you can meet other travelers and a kitchen where you can cook.
So whether you’re visiting NYC for business or pleasure, HI New York City Hostel is one of the most popular and highly recommended hostels to pick. It has a strong reputation for attracting friendly and social travelers, so it’s great for both solo and group travelers alike.
—> Book Online
West Side YMCA is a little more expensive than other youth hostels in NYC, but it’s got loads of fantastic amenities to make up for it.
West Side YMCA is located just a few blocks away from Columbus Circle station, making it a great location for people who want to travel around NYC. You get plenty of local amenities too such as restaurants and shopping areas.
Inside, everything is clean and well-maintained, but unless you book a more private room, you might find the public bathrooms to be a little uncomfortable. The rooms aren’t too big, but you get plenty of space for the essentials like your bed and storage.
One of the big draws to West Side YMCA is that you get access to all of the amenities. This includes a large pool, a well-equipped gym, sauna, and other additions. This makes it great for keeping up with your fitness goals, but they also make for good social activities as well.
New York Moore Hostel advertises itself as Brooklyn’s premiere luxury hostel. It sets itself apart with a higher price, but also offers more in return!
This hostel is located in the heart of Brooklyn where you’ll find beautiful art everywhere. There are loads of lively things going on here. From unique coffee shops and bars to high-end restaurants and delicious street food spots, there’s just so much on offer to explore here. To make things easier, it’s a short walk away from multiple subway lines, or even just a short trip to Union Square in Manhattan.
The rooms are also adorned with beautiful art and vibrant colors. You have a good selection of both private and shared rooms, and there’s free WiFi throughout the building. You even get free parking and there are basic cooking tools like a fridge, microwave, and toaster.
So if you’re looking for something luxurious, trendy, and unique, the New York Moore Hostel is a great pick.
—> Book Online
While we are discussing New York, I also wrote about hostels near JFK airport, so if you are looking to stay near there, I’ve got you covered!