(Scenic Drives of America Feature)
A beautiful route through the heart of the Green Mountains.
When people think of the beautiful state of Vermont, they often think of classic old villages such as Stowe, Warren, Weston, and Wilmington. Aside from towering church steeples, rickety old general stores, old covered bridges, and leafy country lanes, what do these four photogenic hamlets have in common? They are all located on Route 100, one of the most scenic roads in New England, if not the entire country.
Route 100 cuts through the backbone of Vermont, with spectacular mountain views along the entire stretch. Route 100 is a north-south route that starts at the Canadian border and ends where Vermont meets up with the Massachusetts border. Many photographers consider Route 100 to be the best route in the state for viewing fall foliage. Visit it and find out for yourself; chances are, you may just agree.
Map of Route 100 in Vermont: Click here to find the location of a particularly beautiful section of Route 100.
THINGS TO SEE AND DO ALONG ROUTE 100:
- Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory, Waterbury–Are you an ice cream lover? Then the Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory on Route 100 is the place for you. Take a tour of this quirky place, then taste some of the best ice cream in New England from one of their picnic tables.
- Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Waterbury Center–A charming, old-fashioned cider mill and gift shop in quaint Waterbury Center, Cold Hollow is often packed during the fall, and for good reason; it is an institution of sorts in this part of Vermont.
- Moss Glen Falls, Granville–A large and sometimes overpowering waterfall just south of Warren, Moss Glen Falls is particularly impressive after heavy rains. This falls is right on Route 100, so you can’t miss it.
- Stowe Recreation Path, Stowe–This paved path is a beautiful, mostly level, 6-mile trail that goes from Stowe to just below Mount Mansfield.
- Vermont Country Store, Weston–Known throughout the country, the Vermont Country Store is just off the village green in beautiful Weston, and is a place that you can easily spend hours in.