A quirky frontier town near Glacier National Park.
Hidden up in the northwest corner of Montana is Whitefish, a funky outpost that caters to people who love the outdoors, including those who have come to appreciate the spectacular Glacier National Park. But Whitefish itself is a destination of its own, with its interesting shops and restaurants, as well as the incredible scenery of the area, including the memorable view of Big Mountain from downtown Whitefish.
There are countless outdoor activities for visitors to Whitefish. Fly fishing, hiking, and biking bring people in the summer, while skiiers and snowboarders flock here in the winter. And for wildlife lovers, you will find bear, elk, and moose around Whitefish and Glacier National Park. The Whitefish area is not on every vacationer’s radar screen, but people are starting to discovering it, and for good reason.
FAST FACTS FOR WHITEFISH, MONTANA:
- Population (2000 census): 5,032
- Elevation: 3,035 feet
- Area Code: 406
- ZIP Code: 59937
- Distance from Missoula, MT: 135 miles
- Location: Map of Whitefish, MT
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND WHITEFISH:
- Big Mountain Ski and Summer Resort–Just north of Whitefish, Big Mountain is a prime destination for skiiers and snowboarders in the winter, while mountain bikers and hikers enjoy the clean Montana air here in the warmer months.
- Fly Fishing–Montana is fly fishing country, and the Whitefish area is no exception. Here, you can fish in such prime fly fishing rivers such as the Flathead and Stillwater rivers, as well as many others.
- Glacier National Park–One of the most beautiful national parks in the United States, Glacier National Park has everything from high plains to towering mountains to old-growth forests. your camera will be put to good use here.
- Lake McDonald Lodge–Glacier National Park has several beautiful old lodges, including the cozy Lake McDonald Lodge, on the west part of the famous Going-to-the-Sun Road. Stay in one of the 100 rooms here and soak in the relaxing atmosphere of this timeless Montana lodge on an unforgettable lake.
- Whitefish Christmas Stroll–Whitefish is a quaint little city any time of the year, but around Christmas this small Montana city gains even more charm. The Christmas Stroll features music, food, shopping, carriage rides, and much more.