The Liberia airport is a great option to fly into if you are looking to visit the beautiful Guanacaste region of Costa Rica. It offers a recently renovated and upgraded International terminal that puts you within about 30 short minutes from the nearest beaches of Costa Rica.
Why Flying to Liberia Makes Since
Are you ready to see the lush rain forests of Costa Rica? Costa Rica is found in Central America and is a magical place where flocks of vividly color birds fly overhead. The landscape is lush and filled with life to explore.
Many international flights fly to San Jose Airport(SJO) in Costa Rica. San Jose is one of two International airports in the country. There are a handful or two other smaller airports strategically located around the country for quicker, more accessible travel. One of those is the Liberia Costa Rica airport.
The Liberia Costa Rica Airport is not all that far from the San Jose International Airport. Getting to Liberia from San Jose, there are several modes of transportation you can choose from. The different transportation avenues available are:
Airplane– it is about a 50-minute flight
Rental Car — it has about a 4-hour drive
Shuttle bus — that leaves every hour to Liberia
Most of the transportation methods can be booked ahead online. As with most traveling choices, the quicker and more convenient modes of transportation tend to be a little higher price. The ways of transportation that take a bit more time to reach your destination are less expensive. It is best to pick a form of transportation that fits your budget and time requirements best.
After getting to Liberia from San Jose, there are so many things to do in and around the city. You can choose from beaches, museums, waterfalls, canopy tours. There are so many choices to make. Let’s go through a few of the options in detail.
Activities and Things to Do Around the Airport
Let us start with some outdoor activity choices.
- Arenal Combo package — This tour package offers hanging bridges, climbing down a waterfall and swimming in the pool below and trekking through a lava field to see a panoramic view of Arenal Lake. The Arenal National Park isn’t all that close, being it’s three hours away, but I’d side with flying into Liberia vs. San Jose for this excursion.
- 4 X 4 Off-roading — You can see both the mountains and the beach driving a 4 X 4 off road vehicle. Some of the tour companies offer custom off-road vehicles for a unique experience.
- Hot Springs, Ziplining and Horseback riding –– This tour packages that include a full day of fun. You can swim in the hot springs or go to the spa. Go on a canopy tour, then to the waterslide or take a bath in volcanic mud.
- National Volcano Park — A expert guide will take you on tour informing you of culture, plants and animals in the park. You can also visit the hot springs and take a mud bath if you choose.
- Palo Verde National Park — In this park, you will have the opportunity to see iguanas, beautiful birds, crocodiles in the water or sunbathing, curious monkeys and more.
- Cloud Forest– If you want to see beautiful birds, the cloud forest is the place to go. It is essential to get a local guide. The guides know where the owls are, where the nests are, and how to find the little birds in the forest.
Those are just a few of the tour options available in Liberia. Different tour operators offer food and beverages, and other amenities to add to your exciting adventure.
Don’t Skip the Rainforest
One of the best places to be in the rainforest is the canopy. The canopy is where the forest is alive. The birds make their nests, while the howler monkeys live in the treetops. The insects are busy at work making, their homes and taking care of their colonies. A rainforest canopy is a magical place because you can walk the same path three or more times and always find something different of interest each time.
Many times you can walk on rope bridges through the canopy. Rope bridges are a life-changing experience and are not for the faint at heart. If you do not mind heights, do not miss the opportunity to walk the rope bridges.
Accommodations in Liberia
There are many places to stay in and around Liberia. There are Bed and Breakfasts, hotels, apartments, and villas for rent. The accommodations come with various amenities. You can choose from hotel brands you know from the United States or local brands. You may even decide to stay with a local in their home or villa.
No matter what type of place you stay at, it is advisable to choose a central location for your accommodations. You want a place that is close to all the activities you are going to want to do while you are in the city. This will make transportation easier and less expensive.
Transportation while in Liberia
As far as transportation and moving about in Liberia. That is fairly easy. Here are some of the options:
- Rent a car
- Ride the bus
- Take a Taxi
If you choose to rent a car, make sure to bring your international drivers to permit with you. It is important to rent a vehicle from a well-reviewed car rental company. If riding the bus is your preferred option, make sure you get a schedule and a map of the bus routes in and around the city. Taking a taxi to everywhere you want to go is also another option. Make sure the driver uses the meter and use your phone’s GPS as the driver is driving to make sure he is taking the best possible route.
Delicious food in Liberia
Last but not least, the food you will enjoy. Central America is known for its exquisite cuisine. Cafe’s with crepes, yes you read it right crepes filled with sweet and savory fillings. Ceviche and huge avocados with well-marinated meats and vegetables. The cuisine is simply delicious.
While you enjoy the international cuisine, do not drink the water from the tap. Make sure that you drink only bottled water. The locals are very familiar with the visitor rule of bottled water, so it should not be a problem.
No matter what the reason you are going to visit Liberia, Costa Rica. Maybe you are going for your honeymoon, a family vacation, a nice getaway trip or a bucket list vacation, a trip to the rainforest and Caribbean beaches will not disappoint you. There is so much to see and do that you will be planning your next trip while you are there. Don’t wait! Start planning your needed vacation today!